As not all racecourses will be able to meet the required health measures for organising these race meetings behind closed doors, plans are being worked on to move certain on-course betting meetings and divisions, so as not to penalize racing professionals who are dependent on those type of meetings.
More generally, it needs to be pointed out that France Galop has been working hard to maintain the balance of the different race categories that are at the heart of the success of the French racing and breeding industry. Hence, all the divisions, codes, regions and different stud-books will continue to receive revenues equivalent to what they received before racing was suspended.
Compared to the original fixture list for the period between 11 and 31 May, a further 14% of races will be added to race meetings that take place during that period at Parisian racecourses:
- 22 races for 3-y-olds, including 9 maiden or races for unraced horses, 5 handicaps and 4 claiming races.
- 24 races for older horses, including 19 handicaps and 5 claiming races.
In the provinces, the same principle has been applied to result in an additional 15% of races rescheduled in each of the different regions over that same period.
Amended fixture list of classic races
Entries for classic races were made by the end of February, before racing was suspended and before lockdown.
The Group 1 classic races for three-year-olds have been rescheduled:
- Emirates Poules d’Essai (Gr1) : Monday, 1 June (Whit Monday) at ParisLongchamp
- Coolmore Prix Saint-Alary (Gr1) : Sunday, 14 June at ParisLongchamp
- Prix du Jockey Club (Gr1) : Sunday 5 July at Chantilly
- Prix de Diane Longines (Gr1) : Sunday 5 July at Chantilly
- Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris (Gr1) : Sunday 13 September at ParisLongchamp (in 2020, the Qatar Prix Niel would be replaced by the Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris).
Also, France Galop is planning to re-open entries for the Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris in mid-June.
Trial for the classics have also been rescheduled:
- Fontainebleau/Grotte (Gr3) : 11 May at ParisLongchamp
- La Force/Vanteaux (Gr3) : 14 May at ParisLongchamp
- Greffulhe (Gr2)/Cléopâtre (Gr3) : 6 June at Saint-Cloud
- Guiche (Gr3)/Finlande (L) : 10 June at Chantilly
- Paul de Moussac/Sandringham (Gr3) : 19 June at Chantilly
- Lys (Gr3)/Malleret (Gr2) : 14 July at ParisLongchamp
- Hocquart (Gr2) : 8 August at Deauville
Pattern races for older horses :
Again, Group 1 races and their trials have been rescheduled:
- Prix Ganay (Gr1) : 14 June at ParisLongchamp
- (Corrida-Gr2 on 6 June at Saint-Cloud)
- Prix d’Ispahan (Gr1) over 9 furlongs on 19 July at Chantilly. The race will be open to three-year-olds.
- (Muguet-Gr2, Sunday 28 June at Saint-Cloud)
- Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud (Gr1), initially programmed to take place on the day of the Prix du Jockey Club and the Prix de Diane Longines, Sunday 28 June at Saint-Cloud.
- (Harcourt-Gr2 Monday 11 May at ParisLongchamp)
Entries for the Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe
Entries for the 2020 Group 1 Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe that are usually made at the end of May, will be rescheduled for mid-June, probably before Royal Ascot. Just like in normal times, the new entry date would then still fall between the Emirates Poules d’Essai races and the Prix du Jockey Club and the Prix de Diane.
Races that will not take place in 2020
Group 2 : Prix Eugène Adam, Prix Niel.
Group 3 : Prix Sigy, Pénélope, Noailles, Chloé, Edmond Blanc, Allez France.
Listed races : Prix François Mathet, de Pontarmé, Jacques Laffitte, Lord Seymour, de la Porte de Madrid, Right Royal, Servanne, Cor de Chasse, de la Moscowa.
For races scheduled to take place at Parisian racecourses, 70% of races for three-year-olds have been rescheduled so that the younger generation can make their racecourse debut and continue to gradually improve before the summer meeting.
27% of races for four-year-olds and 20% of races for five-year-olds and older horses will be rescheduled.
40% of hurdle and chase handicaps, for four-year-olds as well as for five-year-olds and older horses will be rescheduled.
28% of the 182 races at racecourses with on-course betting meetings will be rescheduled.
Classic jump racing season
- Prix Murat (Gr2), Léon Rambaud (Gr2), Amadou (Gr2), Jean Stern (Gr2), du Président de la République (Gr3), Grande Course de Haies de Printemps (Gr3), Prix Go Ahead (L) et Girofla (L) : weekend 16 and 17 May, originally the weekend of the Grand Steeple Chase de Paris and the Grande Course de Haies.
- Grand Steeple Chase de Paris (Gr1), Grande Course de Haies d’Auteuil (Gr1), Prix Stanley (L) et Iena (L) : Sunday 7 June (originally the day of the Prix des Drags).
- Christian de Tredern (Gr3) : Sunday 7 June, to allow fillies to then run in the Prix Questarabad.
- Prix Alain du Breil (Gr1) et Ferdinand Dufaure (Gr1) : Saturday 13 June.
- Prix La Barka (Gr2), des Drags (Gr2), Aguado (Gr3) et Sagan (Gr3) : Saturday 4 July
- Prix Questarabad (Gr3) et La Perichole (Gr3) : Monday 13 July.
For three and four-year-olds, the fixture list has been amended in such a way that young horses can make their racecourse debut and that those who have already run can follow the original program or prepare for major events.
Fixture list for on-course betting meetings
Regarding on-course betting meetings, which should start on 11 May, there are two possibilities:
- On-course betting races that feature in the off-course betting flat or jump racing fixture list and which take place on a racecourse that also organises off-course betting meetings, would be maintained and could fill in for the international meetings originally programmed to be broadcast on Equidia.
- Owing to the organisational constraints that come with racing behind closed doors, France Galop is currently discussing on-course betting meetings that feature in the on-course betting flat or jumping fixture list.
Division of races
Dividing races is common practice in normal times when there is a high number of entries in a race and there are no other races of the same category at a similar date.
Dividing races could be envisioned where possible and if conditions allow it (technical constraints could come into play).
PUBLISHING THE FIXTURE LIST
- 11 - 31 May: fixture list will be available online
- 1 - 31 June: fixture list will be available online
- 1 July – 31 August: if possible, a fixture list will be published in book format including on and off-course betting meetings.
- 11 May – 13 July: fixture list will be available online